Once you’ve enrolled in a Pathstream certificate, we are committed to helping you accomplish your career goals! Many of our students are working adults who are switching to a new field or looking to advance in their current job. We’ve built specialized resources and career services to help you land a new job, get a promotion, or start freelance work.
Start Working Towards Your Career Goals Today
Even before you start a Pathstream program, you can start working towards your career goals by completing a few simple steps:
- Define what you want to do next: Think about what you want to accomplish after completing your certificate. What kinds of positions do you want to apply for? What are your salary expectations? What types of employers do you hope to work for? Spend some time getting as specific as possible about your desired outcomes. Research the kind of companies where you would like to work and find some job listings that look exciting to you. If you need some help getting started with your research, reach out to a Pathstream Career Counselor who is happy to schedule a quick consultation to help. The clearer your goals, the more you will be set up for success once you start the program!
- Think about your personal story: One of the first questions that interviewers often ask is: “Tell me about yourself and why you’re interested in this job.” If you’re switching into a new career field, it can be challenging to answer this question while proving that you have the right experience for the job. To get ready, spend a little time thinking about your personal story. Get clear about the type of role you want next and then work backward — how did you get interested in this new field? What relevant skills or experiences do you have from past roles that you want to apply to this new type of position? Why are you excited to take on this new challenge? For example, if you are hoping to get a job as a data analyst and you have spent the last 15 years working in the hotel and hospitality industry, think about any times you interacted with data in your previous roles and why you got intrigued by this type of work. Practice explaining who you are and why you want a new job.
Your Pathstream coach will work with you to refine your personal story and get ready for interviews. Our most successful students also do a lot of self-reflection on their own. This type of work can really set you apart in a job interview!
- Reach out to any connections you already have in this new field. It’s never too early to start networking! We recommend that even before you start a certificate program, you think of any friends of friends or professional acquaintances you already know who might be working in your field of interest. Contact them and request an informational interview. Ask about a typical day on the job and how they found their current position. Getting firsthand perspectives from someone already working in your desired role can be invaluable — and you’ll have already started signaling to people that you are interested in similar opportunities once you finish the program!
How Pathstream Career Services Will Help
Once you start your Pathstream certificate, you will begin receiving career services and support. Watch this short video to see what you can expect:
Here’s what you can expect:
- Sign up for a weekly jobs newsletter featuring curated opportunities. You will receive a weekly digest of relevant positions curated by the Pathstream Career Services team. Some of these companies are specifically recruiting Pathstream students and offer guaranteed interviews. You’ll be able to monitor these job listings as you complete your program.
- Access targeted career content: At the end of each course, you’ll get access to hands-on career tutorials to help you do things like update your resume with your new skills, create or update your LinkedIn profile, and get familiar with common job titles and salaries for your field of study.
- Receive personalized career coaching: When you get to the final course in your certificate, you’ll be able to opt into personalized career coaching. You’ll be matched with an experienced coach from Pathstream’s Career Services Team who will help you review your resume, practice for interviews, and find the right places to apply for jobs based on your background, level of experience, and goals.
- Find paid freelance projects: Your coach can also help you find real-world projects where you can start to apply your new skills and build experience for your resume while you look for jobs.
- Get introduced to hiring partners: Your coach will also help introduce you to relevant recruiters and hiring managers from our network of employer partners. You’ll be able to work with these recruiters to start getting interviews with companies across the country who offer internships, contract-to-hire, and full-time roles so you can kickstart your career in a new field.
Learn more about Pathstream’s Digital Skills certificate programs.
Was this helpful?
Thanks! What made it helpful?
How could we improve this post?